Study and Work Abroad

The United States. Information for international students

General Information About Living and Studying in the United States

Education USA  is the state department site that assists international students with information about funding, applying and preparing for study at an accredited US college or university

General information about entering and living in the US is provided by

Costs and Funding of Study in the United States

Tuition fees range from $9,000 to $40,000 (USD) per year with most universities charging international students between $10,000 and $30,000. Living expenses, accomodation, transportation and books will cost extra. College Board has an excellent searchable list of US universities that includes fees and even details of services for students with disabilities.

Scholarships and other financial aid is available for international students in a limited amount. Read more at Federal Student Aid and Scholarships at DO-IT

International Education Financial Aid (IEFA) scholarship search has financial aid, college scholarship and grant information for international students wishing to study abroad.

Visas and Permits for the United States

You can take a short course of study on a tourist visa if it involves less than 18 hours per week. If your course of study is more than 18 hours a week, you will need a student visa. Read more at the US Department of State - Student Visas. Contact the US Embassy or Consulate at your place for inquires. also has information about student visas 

Disability Related Legislation in the United States

The Office for Civil Rights, OCR enforces two laws that prohibit discrimination based on disability: Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act, ADA, prohibits discrimination based on disability in public entities. Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 prohibits discrimination based on disability in programs or activities receiving federal financial assistance. Visit even the Official Site of the ADA.

Health Care and Other Social/Public Services in the United States

The United States does not have socialized medical care. If you have no health insurance coverage, you have to pay for health care out of your own finances at the time of service. Read about health services at

A Student Organisation in the United States

National Disabled Students' Union

Resources for Students in the United States

Disabilities, Opportunities, Internetworking, and Technology DO-IT provides good resources for students with disabilities. Take a look at postsecondary education and Scholarships.

Disabilities in Exchange Programs 

The Association on Higher Education And Disability - AHEAD - is an international, multicultural organization of professionals committed to full participation in higher education for persons with disabilities.

The American Association of People with Disabilities - AAPD .

The Independent Living Centers in USA work to assure people with disabilities physical and programmatic access to housing, education, employment, transportation, communities, recreational facilities, health and social services. There are nearly 500 Independent Living Centers in the USA. The ILUSA Website has a complete directory and list of links to them. The National Alliance of Blind Students (NABS)

National Association of the Deaf

This entry changed: Thursday 12th October 2023.