www.independentliving.org startsida

Study and Work Abroad

Sweden. Information for international students

Swedes thinking about working and studying abroad please see our information in Swedish.

General Information About Living and Studying in Sweden

Foreigners wanting to study in Sweden will find good information at www.studyinsweden.se. The site incorporates a frequently updated database of English-language programmes, an overview of the Swedish higher education system, practical information about visas and accommodation, scholarships, application procedures and pointers for learning Swedish as a foreign language.

The Swedish International Development Co-operation Agency (Sida) and the Swedish Institute are introducing a scholarship programme "for key personnel in developing countries who want to pursue masters level studies at Swedish universities."

The National Agency for Higher Education A central agency responsible for matters relating to institutions of higher education.

Sweden at Wikipedia.

Costs and Funding of Study in Sweden

With rare exceptions, tuition fees for higher education in Sweden are fully subsidized by the government. This applies to both foreign and Swedish students.

It costs about 700 Euro per month for a student to live economically in Sweden. More information and example of budget at Food, transport and leisure.

The Swedish Institute, a government agency, funds each year approximately 150 scholarships for students and researchers coming to Sweden to pursue their objectives at a Swedish university or university college. The number of available scholarships varies from year to year, and competition is keen. Most foreign students in Sweden finance their stay without help from scholarships. Read more at Sweden.se - scholarships.

Visas and Permits for Sweden

If you are a citizen of a country other than a Nordic or EU/EEA country you will need to apply for a visa or a residence permit for visiting students, depending on your intended length of stay. To apply for a residence permit you must first be admitted to a course, program or other form of study in Sweden. The application fee, which is not refundable, is SEK 1,000. You can apply for visas and permits at the Swedish embassy or consulate in your home country. Read more at StudyinSweden.se

Disability Related Legislation in Sweden

Equal Treatment of Students in Universities Act. This law states that no student at university or other institution of higher education should be discriminated against or otherwise differently treated on grounds of origins, sex, sexual orientation, or disability. This covers all levels of the studies: admission, study environment, teaching, and examination. The law enjoins all universities annually to draw up plans of action covering measures necessary to encourage and strengthen the students- equal rights regardless of ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, and disability.

Health Care and Other Social/Public Services in Sweden

If you are a citizen of any of the Nordic or EU/EEA countries you have access to public medical services for immediate necessary care. You need, however, to register at a social insurance office in your home country and ask them to issue form E128. This form is for students and you need to bring it with you when seeking medical attention in Sweden.

If you are a citizen in a country that is not a member of the EU/EEA, there are certain criteria you must fulfil to become eligible for medical care. As a visiting student, if you stay for longer than one year, i.e. if you have a residence permit valid for one year or more, you are entitled to benefits such as medical treatment. For details, information and required documentation visit Sweden.se - Medical insurance and care

A Student Organisation in Sweden

The Swedish National Union of Students (SFS), an umbrella organization at national level of all Swedish students- unions. The site has information about the work of the unions contact points both for the office and board of the SFS and for all individual students- unions in the country.

Resources for Students in Sweden


www.studeramedfunktionshinder.nu All Swedish coordinators for disabled students services can be found on one site always giving up-to-date contact information.

www.tpb.se The Swedish Library of Talking Books and Braille, TPB, Service for university students having reading difficulties, including dyslexia, impaired sight or mobility.

The National Agency for Special Needs Education and Schools provides certain services in the area of personal assistance, e.g. reimburses costs for personal assistance (swedish).

The National Agency for Higher Education

www.studera.nu The page for Swedish students from the National Agency for Higher Education, telling them all they need to know and then some.

ERASMUS, European Union Initiative

ERASMUS, an "EU funded programme which contains a wide range of measures designed to support the European activities of higher education institutions, including mobility and exchange of their students and teaching staff."

Youth Disability Organisations in Sweden

Förbundet Unga Rörelsehindrade (Organization of Young Mobility Disabled, no information in English)
Swedish Association of Visually Impaired Youth
The Swedish National Association of the Deaf Youth
Swedish Organisation for Hard of Hearing Young People
PSO Ung (Youth with Psoriasis)
Unga RBU-are (Youth with Mobility Disabilities, no information in English)
Ung Diabetes (Youth with Diabetes, no information in English)
The Swedish Organization of Youth with Rheumatism
Svenska Celiakiungdomsförbundet (SCUF) (The Swedish Association for Youth with Celiac Disease, no information in English)
Unga Allergiker (Youth with Allergy, no information in English)
The Swedish National Association for Persons with Intellectual Disability

Personal Experiences, Interviews, Forums, Mailing Lists, etc., in Sweden

Erasmus Student Network (ESN) is a European wide student organization. Its goal is to help exchange students find their way in their new homes. The network contact with more than 60 000 students.

Five University Graduates Meet the researcher, the law student, the graduate engineer, the physiotherapist, and the physicist: five highly motivated people, who went for quality. The interviews are published in English and Swedish by studeramedfunktionshinder.nu

Language Courses

Here is a video in Swedish Sign Language about language courses abroad for deaf students from SDU.

Accommodation and Travel in Sweden

Sweden in the Lonely Planet World Guide

This entry changed: Wednesday 28th March 2018.