www.independentliving.org startsida

Study and Work Abroad

Norway. Information for international students

General Information About Living and Studying in Norway

The Norwegian Centre for International Cooperation in Higher Education (SIU) is a Norwegian agency that promotes international cooperation in education and research.

On the Website Study in Norway you will find links to all the higher education institutions in Norway participating in the SOCRATES/ERASMUS exchange programme and other International programs.

Norway at Wikipedia (a free, on-line, collaborative encyclopedia).

Costs and Funding of Study in Norway

The State Educational Loan Fund (Lånekassan) includes some financing for foreign students. Read about the rules for eligibility 2004-2005 at Grants and Loans to Foreign Citizens

In order to receive an educational grant or loan for higher education abroad, the applicant must already have achieved general study competence and must be enrolled at an educational institution. The education must provide occupational competence in Norway and it must be officially approved in the country where studies are taking place. Educational grants and loans can be granted for a maximum of eight years. In addition to this, support can also be granted for doctoral studies (PhD) Visit the Website of The State Educational Loan Fund for more information.

CIS, the Center for International Studies, offers affordable, exciting, and challenging programs in eight different countries and 19 different locations. There are programs in Australia, England, New Zealand, Spain, Italy, Scotland and Italy. CIS's programs are some of the most affordable available from any study abroad provider

PLOTEUS and ERASMUS, Two European Union Initiatives

PLOTEUS, "the Portal on Learning Opportunities throughout the European Space, will help you find out about education and training available throughout Europe." PLOTEUS includes an exchange & grants search and a searchable database of courses and schools.

ERASMUS, an "EU funded programme which contains a wide range of measures designed to support the European activities of higher education institutions, including mobility and exchange of their students and teaching staff."

Visas and Permits for Norway

No visa is required for Nordic and EU/EEA residents. Others need to apply for a visa or a residence permit for visiting students, depending on the intended length of stay. You should contact the Norwegian Embassy or Consulate in your country for information about visas and residence permits.
The University of Oslo has information for international students including visa and other requirements at the International Students section.

Disability Related Legislation in Norway

Information In Norwegian: Modification to the University- and Higher Educations Act (§ 48 5) at The Ministry of Education and Research Website.

Health Care and Other Social/Public Services in Norway

Students from EU/EEA countries must have social security coverage from their home country. The social security form E 128 covers expenses for medical treatment in accordance with the National Insurance Scheme.

Students from countries outside the European Economic Area staying more than one year becomes automatically insured under the National Insurance Scheme when registering as a student and as a resident in Norway. If the duration of your stay in Norway is between 3 and 12 months you should fill in a special form entitling you to social security coverage with regard to health services in accordance with the National Insurance Scheme. The form must be sent to the insurance office in the municipality in which you are staying. Students who do not fill in this form or students who stay in Norway less than three months should have social security coverage from their home country. Read more at the Oslo University Website.

Student Organisations in Norway

The International Students' Union is "the biggest and most modern foreign student organization in Norway."

Norsk Studentunion (Norwegian Students' Union) (in Norwegian).

Resources for Students in Norway

The section on Norway of the Higher Education Accessibility Guide (HEAG) has a searchable database of universities and links for students with disabilities. HEAG is hosted by the European Agency for Development in Special Needs Education.

The Norwegian Agency for Quality Assurance in Education, NOKUT Here you will find information on recognition of foreign higher education, on evaluation and accreditation of Norwegian qualifications and a general overview of higher education in Norway.

Information for students with disabilities at University of Oslo

Accommodation and Travel in Norway

Norway in the Lonely Planet World Guide

This entry changed: Tuesday 25th May 2021.