Study and Work Abroad

Japan. Information for international students

General Information About Living and Studying in Japan

Foreigners wanting to study in Japan will find a wealth of information available at Information on this site is available in English, Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Indonesian, Vietnamese, French and Spanish. For information regarding undergraduate courses at specific universities, the Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO) web site holds an abundance of information, including a student guide in the following languages Chinese, Taiwanese, Indonesian, Korean, Spanish, Thai, Vietnamese.

Japan at Wikipedia (a free, on-line, collaborative encyclopedia).

Costs and Funding of Study in Japan

Several types of funding are available for foreign students wanting to study in Japan. Among these are even types of Japanese government-sponsored scholarships available under the Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho) Scholarship program: those for research students, teacher training students, undergraduate university students, Japanese studies students, college of technology students, special training students and YLP students. The Daiwa Foundation scholarships enable recipients to spend twenty months in Japan learning about Japanese culture and studying Japanese. The second half of their stay will be spent working in a Japanese company related to their future career. The Executive Training Programme (ETP) helps EU companies build powerful, long-lasting, and rewarding relationships with Japan or Korea and is offering a series of EU-funded programs that include a 12-month Japanese language course, followed by a brief homestay with a Japanese family and 6 months of work at a Japanese company.
The Japan Foundation offers a variety of programs to promote mutual understanding and friendship on the international scene. Many of these programs involve a chance to work or study in Japan.

Visas and Permits for Japan

27 different categories of residential status are available for the foreigner's stay in Japan. You need to apply for a visa or a residence permit for visiting students. For details regarding visas consult an embassy or a consulate. A list of overseas Japanese embassy or consular offices ( is available here.

Disability Related Legislation in Japan

The rights of persons with disabilities are protected by a combination of special and general legislation. There are no judicial mechanisms to protect the rights of persons with disabilities. Non-judicial mechanisms include a Governmental body (administrative). Read more here.

Disability information and Organisations in Japan

Accessible Japan This Website gives wheelchair users the latest useful information to visit attractive places in major parts of Japan.
Independent Living in Japan Articles and resources on the IL situation in Japan from the Asia Disability Institute.
Japanese resources on Independent Living Information Resouces for People with Disabilities in Japan

Language Courses

Information about japanese language training in japan can be found here

Accommodation and Travel in Japan

Japan in the Lonely Planet World Guide

This entry changed: Wednesday 28th March 2018.