www.independentliving.org startsida

Study and Work Abroad

Work abroad, international recruitment and internships

Students can get abroad as part of exchange programmes for vocational training or for cultural exchange as well as non-paying volunteer work. Graduates and undergraduates can apply for international internships and make use of recruitment and career services

Low paying seasonal, au-pair and summer camp work is another option to consider, although these jobs are not always open for people with disabilities.

Visa requirements for workers are generally tougher than for fee paying students and tourists.

We have a list of organizations that welcome international workers and volunteers

Work abroad programmes and sites. Exchange and internships

Work abroad programmes and sites. Exchange and internships

Entry Point [ehrweb.aaas.org/entrypoint/]
ENTRY POINT! is a program of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) offering internship opportunities for students with disabilities in Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Computer Science, and some fields of Business.

Cultural Vistas [culturalvistas.org]
"A nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization, Cultural Vistas has used career exploration to facilitate connections between Americans and international visitors for more than 60 years."

The American-Scandinavian Foundation
The Exchange Visitor (J Visa) Program - Scandinavians are able to train in the U.S. and receive income through the Foundation's U.S. Government designated Exchange Visitor (J visa) Program. Information about programmes to Scandinavia.

Low pay and no pay. Volunteering and exchange.

idealist.org - Action Without Borders connects people, organizations and resources to help build a world where all people can live free and dignified lives. Search volunteer listings worldwide

Database of European Voluntary Service accredited organisations. This is a list of the organisations which have been accredited to run projects under the European Union's European Voluntary Service scheme.

PAYAway - Quick Getaway to a Job Abroad - is a UK site listing many ways to find a job abroad if you're not fussy about working hard for a minimum wage.

AFS provides intercultural learning experiences
"Exchange programs give participants an all-access pass to discover and explore a new culture. Since 1947, AFS has given more than 400,000 students and young adult professionals the opportunity to travel abroad and embark on personal growth experiences that continue for a lifetime."

CIEE Council on International Educational Exchange " - A nonprofit, non-governmental organization, CIEE is the world leader in international education and exchange. For more than 65 years CIEE has helped thousands of people gain the knowledge and skills necessary to live and work in a globally interdependent and culturally diverse world by offering the most comprehensive, relevant, and valuable exchange programs available.."

Recruitment services with information for job seekers with disabilities

The goal of JobAccess is to enable people with disabilities to enhance their professional lives by providing a dedicated system for finding employment. By posting job opportunities with JobAccess, employers not only exhibit an open door policy but also demonstrate their responsiveness to affirmative action by genuinely recruiting qualified persons with disabilities.

Monster.com: Diversity and Inclusion
diversity.monster.com was the link but what remains are articles about Diversity and Inclusion.

Graduate Prospects
Graduate Prospects is a UK job site that has advice for job seekers with disabilities and high quality Work Abroad pages.

Getting a visa and work permit

Work permits are not easy to get!

Anywork Anywhere have a useful chart showing which countries have working holiday agreements.

Here is brief collection of resources for the USA, Europe and Canada.


To work in the USA you need an Employment Authorization Document. There are exemptions from the EAD requirements for internships/training, study and people on exchange programs. Read more about exemptions from EAD requirements here.


EU member country citizens can work anywhere in the EU - any restrictions can be found at EURES

United Kingdom: UK visas and Immigration has all the visa information you need.

Germany: Working in Germany by the Federal Foreign Office

France: the French Ministry for Foreign Affairs has a visa guide.

echo 'Revised/created Thursday, 24 February 2005 (some updates May 2014)
'; echo __FOOTER__; ?>