"Inclusion and independence for disabled people"
LCIL's aims are:-
- to support the right of disabled people to live independently, take control of their own lives and further their own personal and professional development
- to promote the social inclusion and individual choice of disabled people
- to challenge the attitudes, and the physical and social barriers that create disability
LCIL's objectives are:-
- to provide a range of services to support independent living, developed and managed by and for disabled people
to provide information, support and training services to disabled people to enable them to set up their own independent living packages
- to provide a fully accessible peer counselling service provided by and for disabled people
- to provide a payroll service for disabled people who employ their own support staff
- to provide training opportunities to those wishing to be employed as personal assistants
- to provide information to disabled people in the Lothians
- to provide an opportunity for disabled people to undertake counselling training
Our non governmental, non-profit, organization works at the local level.
We consider ourselves as part of the international Independent Living and Disability Rights Movement.
Our organization is mainly run, controlled and represented by disabled people.
Independent Living, Direct payments, Disability information through our disability information service Grapevine. LCIL trains to disabled people to act as peer counsellors so as to provide accessible counselloring to disabled people in Edinburgh and West Lothian.
We may be able to refer disabled persons to wheelchair accessible housing or transportation or other services in our city.
We have traineeships or volunteer positions that people with disabilities are welcome to apply for.
People planning to come to our city are welcome to contact us to find out about accessibility and services in Edinburgh. We may be able to help with information.
|Contact person:||Gareth Timms|
|Phone:||0131 475 2350|
Norton Park Centre
57 Albion Road
This entry added: Wednesday 8th June 2005. (record #740) Changed: Tuesday 25th October 2005. Link checked Saturday 8th September 2018.